Welcome to BLOG Zentangle. To learn about Zentangle, visit our website, read our free newsletters, take a class with a local Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT), and best of all . . . create your own!


Monday, April 25, 2011

Thoughts

Last night we realized there is an unspoken aspect of Zentangle that has naturally flourished among tanglers worldwide . . . an absence of contests! We've not noticed any competitions and contests with their accompanying winners and losers, bests and worsts. That makes sense, because Zentangle is none of that.

Zentangle is comfort, inspiration, gratitude, self-confidence, happiness, sharing, encouragement, satisfaction and empowerment. How cool is that!

Thank you all for reflecting Zentangle's empowerment of process and beauty of result in such wonderfully individual and uplifting ways.

Here's a peak at some fun we're having with white pens, black paper and new tangleations:



More later!

Click image for larger view.

12 comments:

Carole Ohl said...

Amen!
And thanks for the peek at this lovely new tangleation! It fits right in with the Diva's challenge this week.

Tricia, CZT said...

When I started reading this morning's blog message, I thought: "Oh, NO!!!! NOT a contest! NO, NO, NO!"

Then, as I read to the end of the message, I thought: "Whew! No contest. Thank goodness."

I think that anyone who understands and loves the Zentangle process would view the phrase "Zentangle Contest" as an oxymoron.

Thank you, Maria and Rick.

Molly said...

I win. I win. I win.
And so do you, you, and you.

Heather Victoria Held said...

I never thought about it before but it is a great point. The process is so peaceful and encouraging. I am so thankful for it and the meditative peace it can bring no matter what is going on around me.
love you both,
Heather

creative side said...

Having a contest for Zentangle would be like monks having a contest for meditation. That being said, I have seen a tendency for bigger and better, but that is what most artists do. I personally don't enter art contests because my art is personal and not about winning. It is so lovely to know people are doing this because it fills a void in their lives.

Darkskye said...

I don't know, I could see a contest being fun if it was done not in the 'who does this best' manner but in the 'the winner will be drawn from a list of entries' style. But if there's any real competition to it, I agree, it doesn't fit the ZT philosophy. I do love doing the challenges that people post. But those are for exploration, not for competition.

And I love that tile you posted with this. Beautiful

Anonymous said...

Do you have any recommendations for white pens? The one I tried did not work very well.

Alittlesprite said...

I have discovered the beauty of zentangle on black paper. I use a metallic silver or gold gel pen. Works well. Last night I even tried a metallic green. I think I like working on black paper better than white!

Shelly Beauch said...

I am over anything competitive because we all have such different likes and loves!!

Unknown said...

I love how Laura Harms does the challenges. Ask for participation and then post everyone's work in the slide show. No contests, no judgment of result, just a beautiful collection of everyone's effort to meet the challenge. I love that.

Karen Woodbine said...

Gorgeous white on black tangles. I was thrilled to find Sakura white gelly rolls at a little art store during a weekend visit to NY. Any recommendations for the black paper?

bjw_draw said...

I have come to wonder how creative work and competition can possibly go together. I am thankful for a place where creative work grows with no need for a winner just sharing the joy!