Welcome to BLOG Zentangle. To learn about Zentangle, visit our website, read our free newsletters, take a class with a local Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT), and best of all . . . create your own!


Thursday, July 18, 2013

Inspiration

Maria asks:

What inspires you?

Look around.

Can you find inspiration from where you sit? Maybe it's a who who's inspiring!

The inspiration for my Zentangle tile du jour . . .


. . . is from my muses du jour: petermaxfieldparrish! ;-)

Rick adds:

Is inspiration an active or a passive event? I think the popular view is that it's passive: "That inspires me." 

However, one of the definitions of inspire is: "To draw in (air) by inhaling."

You don't need to passively wait for inspiration.  You can actively inhale it!

The origin of "inspire" is "to breathe into." Each breath is literally an inspiration!

Relax. Look around you. Find something to relish. Actively draw* it in. Inhale it, appreciate it, make it your own.

Then (if so inspired) express it . . . one stroke at a time.

* For more about "draw" see this blog post.

-----+-----

Maria continues:

Carol's name was drawn in the random number pick from the previous blog's list of commentators. Since we do not have any other info on her, here is her comment:
carol said... Maybe when we learn small things, taught with great love - we can accomplish great things . . . thanks Maria & Rick for your inspirational teaching!
Carol, please contact me at zentangle (at) gmail (dot) com with your snail mail address.

Click image for a larger view. Breathe deeply!

15 comments:

Margaret Bremner, Artist said...

I LOVE Maxfield Parrish's light. Love it! Something I simply can NOT do. Peter Max, he's fun too!

W i e d e s i g n a r c h said...

inspiring idea.. a lot ^_^

Shelly Beauch said...

Every time I look at blog Zentangle and The Book of Zentangle I am inspired, my grandchildren and their love of drawing and craft inspire me too!

Ellen said...

I find inspiration all around me. Just a few nights ago I was inspired by the clouds, the way they were there and not there because they were so thin you could look true them. And the way they moved in the o so slightly wind. Today there are clouds in all kind of shapes. So I will be laying down in the garden and have fun.

Carole Ohl said...

Inspire=to breathe into. How beautiful is that? Even if I don't get the time to take pen in hand today, it can all happen in my mind, heart and breath. Thanks for THAT inspiration! I was a little beat this morning, but I feel very energized by your post today!

Anonymous said...

:) What I just read and looked at, along with it's creators inspired me today! I will aspire to breathe into.... Thank you both. Kate Ahrens CZT IX

Unknown said...

Oh, how both of you inspire me! I keep coming back not just for the beautiful art, but for the beautiful thoughts! And, your thoughts and ideas stay with me - I say to myself all the time - "Is it a good thing or a bad thing" all the time and it helps me to accept stuff I don't always want to... Must look up Maxfield Parrish. Thanks for the fabulous tile you shared!!!!!Can I win again? Pretty please?

Carol Graham said...

Yippee - my name was drawn! Email with my address is on the way. Thanks SO much.
I've just spent the last 20 minutes getting inspired on Pinterest...man, there is some amazing stuff on there, you can get lost in it!

Tinkered Art said...

If I keep my heart and eyes open inspiration comes from many places and in many forms. Lately I've been finding my students to be very inspiring.

Cathy said...

Inspiration comes from nature sometimes. It comes from what's happening around me and inside me. Mostly it happens from the wonderous works of all the other zentangle artists. I love looking at all the things they create.

anotherid4me said...

I'm new to the artform (<6 months) but the topic of inspiration is so appropriate to what happens to me almost every day since learning. I "see" such patterns, or possibilities, everywhere I look. A few days after my first drawing I saw such in the carpeting at the airport, took a picture, & haven't quit seeing such ever since. LOVE IT!!

Jane Monk said...

Life is inspiration enough :)

Unknown said...

I have been teaching my daughter and her friends that they can find inspiration anywhere, any time, if they take the time to look.

Linda F. said...

Your beautiful artwork inspires me! Just stopping to notice small details in everyday items inspires me. I see details more often now since creating Zentangles, that I didn't notice as clearly before!

Marcia said...

I'm inspired by everyday ordinary things and seeing them in a little different light since I started tangling. Love Maria & Ricks work, Michelle Beauchamp, Helen Williams, and a ton of other artists whose style really appeals to me.